In CPD modules
Sexually transmitted infections are on the increase and treatment is hampered by antimicrobial resistance. This module reviews the current situation.
After completing it, you should be more aware of:
- The eight principal STIs and their causes
- Transmission routes for STIs (sexual and non-sexual)
- Common symptoms and adverse effects of STIs
- Serious long-term implications of STIs
- STI prevalence in the UK
- The extent to which STIs can be asymptomatic
- Chlamydia screening and drug management
- Concerns about antimicrobial resistance (AMR), especially in relation to gonorrhoea
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) and its health implications
- Antibiotic treatment recommendations for syphilis, trichomoniasis and PID.