Urgent revalidation update: what lies ahead in 2018 â€“ are you ready?
Update focusing on the upcoming revalidation process
It is evident that there are uncertainties amongst pharmacists regarding the new requirements and what registrants are required to submit in 2018. It is important that pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are aware of this new process.
New revalidation framework
The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) approved the new revalidation framework on Friday 8 December 2017. The new framework builds on the current framework for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and also introduces changes toÂ how registrants carry out CPD and alsoÂ the manner in which entries are recorded. Under the new revalidation framework, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians will be required to submit a total of six records annually at the time of renewing their registration. This will comprise of:
- Four CPD records â€“ two of which must beÂ planned learning entries
- One record of a peer discussion
- One reflective accountÂ
Key dates regarding revalidation February 2018
- Final revalidation framework to be launched
- Email sent to all GPhC registrants to lookÂ out for a letterâ€“ the letter will contain your unique PIN number for the new online portal system where you will need to set up a new accountÂ
30 March 2018
- Go live date for the revalidation framework
- Go live date for the new online portal â€“ recording of CPDs can begin!
- CPDs on the old portal will become read- only; registrants will be able to print off old CPD entries for their records
30 June 2018
- Old portal goes offline and users will no longer have access to old CPD entries
What do you need to submitÂ in 2018?
GPhC registrants have different renewal dates for their GPhC registration; hence, you will have different requirements regarding what needs to be submitted in 2018 as part of your registration renewal. Please note that each registrant will receive their own personalised timeline from the GPhC, which will outline what they are required to submit in 2018 and by when.
When the old portal goes offline on 30 June 2018, does this mean I will no longer have access to my old CPD entries?
Thatâ€™s correct. After the old portal (uptodate.org) goes of ine on 30 June 2018, your old CPD entries will no longer be accessible. If you would like to maintain a record of your old entries, it is strongly
recommended that you print them out before the portal ceases.
Further guidance is still expected from the GPhC; however, in the meantime, if you have any questions regarding any aspect of the new revalidation process, please contact the Pharmacy team on 01727 891 800 or email: email@example.com
Leyla Hannbeck MSc, MRPharmS
NPA Chief Pharmacist