A young man has asked for your advice. He says that a very painful area of hard skin has developed on the sole of his foot. He went to his GP, who examined it and said it was a verruca but he couldn’t prescribe anything because the NHS was discouraging doctors from prescribing medicines for minor complaints that could be bought over the counter, and in any case the cost of a verruca treatment would be less than the NHS prescription charge. So he bought himself a tube of wart and verruca gel in a supermarket and tried it, but it didn’t work. He then bought some verruca plasters, but they haven’t worked either. He asks if you could recommend something stronger, or what you would advise him to do?

This website is for healthcare professionals, people who work in pharmacy and pharmacy students. By clicking into any content, you confirm this describes you and that you agree to Independent Pharmacist's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

We use essential, performance, functional and advertising cookies to give you a better web experience. Find out how to manage these cookies here. We also use Interest Based Advertising Cookies to display relevant advertisements on this and other websites based on your viewing behaviour. By clicking "Accept" you agree to the use of these Cookies and our Cookie Policy.